During this time, when we are all working to stay healthy and safe, we continue to work diligently to meet the needs of our clients and community.
Using safe social distancing practices, First Chance for Children is still doing our part to provide early childhood programs and family resources that foster healthy outcomes for children and families in mid-Missouri. Our primary vision remains that all children will arrive at school ready to learn and succeed in school and life. Below are the ways our programs are currently operating, for more detailed information go to www.fc4c.org or call 573-777-1815.
Lend & Learn Libraries
Unfortunately, the physical Lend and Learn Library locations will continue to be closed until further notice. We are hopeful that covid-19 numbers will decrease in the coming month and we can reopen in September 2021. We are working on new and innovative ways to stay connected and support you until we can play together again. Here are the ways we are still there for you:
- Stay at home, play at home activity kits.
- The kits include a full month of activities for families with children under the age of 5. More information can be found below, and by clicking here!
- Look for virtual guided activities to accompany the kits on our Lend and Learn Facebook page.
- One-on-one caregiver coaching is including child development screenings and parenting tips.
- Enhanced check-out program. You can now check out a toy kit for infants or toddlers. The toys can be picked up curbside at our Columbia office for up to two weeks. For more information click here.
- Pop-up group events
Families in need can continue to receive diapers monthly several different ways:
- Diaper drives are continuing in Ashland, Columbia, and Centralia monthly.
- dates are posted monthly on our facebook page.
- Other ways to get diapers:
- Appointments can be made for diaper delivery and pick up from the Columbia office.
- Partner agencies also distributing diapers include: Columbia Parents as Teachers, Boone County Health Department, CMCA, City of Refuge, Columbia Housing Authority, Harrisburg Parents as Teachers, Healthy Steps, Johnson Early Learning, Lutheran Family and Children’s Services, Refugee and Immigration Services, Sturgeon Parents as Teachers, and VAC
All visits are continuing virtually and/or socially distant based on families comfort levels until covid-19 numbers decrease in Boone county.
For Baby U, visits are virtual, or socially distance and masked based on health screenings day of the visit. If visits are virtual our staff drop all needed supplies at our client’s homes and continue to connect through video and/or voice calls on a regular basis.
Families that receive assistance through CRIBS Program (Community Resources, Infant Beds, and Support), the program varies based on partner agencies. At minimum, families are being sent videos on how to properly set up their cribs and follow up video/phone meetings for support and assistance, however many programs have moved back to in person programming.