Community Resources, Infant Beds, and Support
All visits are continuing virtually until COVID-19 numbers decrease in mid-Missouri. Staff drop all needed supplies, like diapers, and the crib at the client’s homes and then connect virtually through video and/or voice calls on a regular basis to show families how to properly set up the crib and provide safe sleep information. The same education and support that was formerly provided in the home is still provided virtually.
While the visits look different, we are still accepting new families to the program.
Babies are at greatest risk of child abuse and death because of sleep issues during their first year of life. First Chance for Children’s Safe C.R.I.B.S. program provides a safe crib and the information families needs to safely put their child to bed and deal with sleep related issues. The crib is delivered to the family home and is followed by five additional home visits that focus on child abuse and neglect prevention and child development information.
Families can sign up for the cribs program by coming by the First Chance for Children office or by calling to schedule an appointment. Visits can begin prenatally, however the crib will be delivered the day the infant comes home from the hospital, or a child under the age of one no longer has a safe space to sleep. During the first visit families can expect to fill out a brief enrollment form, gain new child health and safety information, receive needed supplies and referrals to community agencies. On follow up visits, home visitors will check the safety of the crib, discuss child safety and development information, and connect to community resources. Items and visits are also available through partner agencies below.
Am I eligible for this program?
- Cribs Available for families in Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Moniteau, Osage, and Randolph counties.
- Cribs designed for children ages 0-1.
- For families at or below 200% of the poverty line.
Have questions or want to enroll?
Have more questions about the program? In need but don’t fit the program guidelines? Give us a call and we’d be happy to talk to you! Families can enroll by calling to set up an initial visits and filling out a simple form when they receive a crib.
Partners help us reach more families in need across our service area.
- California Parents as Teachers
- Chamois Parents as Teachers
- Columbia/Boone County Public Health Department
- Central Missouri Community Action
- City of Refuge
- Columbia Housing Authority
- Columbia Parents as Teachers
- Fayette Parents as Teachers
- Fulton Parents as Teachers
- Great Circle
- Harrisburg Parents as Teachers
- Healthy Steps
- Jefferson City Parents as Teachers
- Lutheran Family and Children’s Services
- Prairie Home Parents as Teachers
- Refugee & Immigration Services
- South Callaway Parents as Teachers
- Sturgeon Parents as Teachers
- Tipton Parents as Teachers
- True North
- Voluntary Action Center
- Welcome Home