Lend and Learn Toy Libraries
Where kids play to learn and parents learn to play
Lend and Learn
Lend & Learn is a free & fun program of First Chance for Children that supports children ages 0-5 and their families to grow essential skills through play.
There are two indoor locations with regular play time hours in Columbia and Centralia. Families may borrow toys to extend their play and learning at home. The Columbia location has an outdoor playground.
Additionally, we offer a variety of play events and activities. Check our facebook page and the events page on our website for updates.
Sign up is no longer required to attend play time or events. Walk in during our open hours.
Am I eligible for this program?
- Lend & Learn is open to all families regardless of residence.
- Designed for children ages 0-5 and their caregivers.
- Lend & Learn is open to all families regardless of income.
Have questions or want to enroll?
Have more questions about the program? Give us a call and we’d be happy to talk to you! You can enroll in person at your first visit with a simple form, we can’t wait to play with you!
Library locations & Hours
Lend & Learn - Columbia
Weekly Play Time Hours
Lend & Learn - North
Play Time Hours
Play time will be open 9:30am-11:30am on the first and second Mondays of each month.
What to Expect at Lend and Learn
A Warm Welcome
We are so glad you are joining us for play time and hope you make yourself “at home” here. The playroom is a large open space with hundreds of activities for every stage of a young child’s development. You’ll also find snack and drink options for children and coffee and tea for adults.
A safe and inclusive space for all families
Our program is inclusive to diverse individual and family needs. The playroom is designed for young children 0-5 and we work to make the environment safe, accessible, and age-appropriate. Our organization has been trained in Autism-Friendly Business practices by the Thompson Center. The bathrooms are gender-neutral and family-friendly. Books are multicultural and offered in various languages.
Services that strengthen families
- Regular play times at two indoor locations with free and fun activities for children 0-5 and their families
- Monthly play groups for families including groups for babies 0-16 months, Dads, Spanish-speaking families, and LGBTQ+ families
- Family events for families to play together with others and have fun, enriching learning experiences
- Outdoor playground at our Columbia location
- Toy checkout to introduce new activities and skills to your young child
- Hiking child carriers are available to borrow to encourage outdoor family adventures
- Parent coaching to talk about your family’s unique needs and the resources available to you
- Child development information and screenings
- Diaper assistance including sizes newborn through seven, pull-ups, and wipes
- Needs assistance: children’s clothes, food, formula, baby supplies, books, toys, and community referrals
A place to learn and grow together
We work to keep Lend & Learn a place where we celebrate one another’s achievements and failures. Perfect parenting is never expected, and neither is perfect behavior from children. Making mistakes is a critical part of learning. We look for teachable moments and seek to encourage and uplift every person.