To celebrate Earth Day, we have put together a kit of play-based learning activities about protecting the planet. We can help children from an early age learn to enjoy and respect the Earth and teach them simple action steps to become PLANET PROTECTORS!
The Earth Day activity kit is full of Earth-friendly items, even the packaging! It includes a reusable grocery bag, soil pellets, seeds, bottle top watering spout, garden windmill, bird seed, crayons, stickers, snacks, Xplor magazine, and a new book! Discover fun and creative activities to celebrate the Earth:
- Do a nature scavenger hunt!
- Make a backyard bird feeder!
- Grow your own garden!
- Dig into messy mud play!
- Create recycled craft activities!
- Color Earth Day action cards!
There are so many fun ways to teach your young child to start Earth-friendly habits for a lifetime! We have 5 Earth Day activity challenges to try this month as you celebrate Earth Day. Make it a family project! Include your young child in simple action steps to save the planet & help them become a PLANET PROTECTOR!
Here are 5 Earth Day activity challenges for your family:
🌎 Earth Day Challenge 1: Swap plastic for more earth friendly materials.
- Swap a packaged snack for a —–> fruit
- Swap a plastic bag for a —–> reusable cloth bag
- Swap a plastic water bottle for a —–> refillable water bottle
🌎 Earth Day Challenge 2: Grow your own garden
- Our Earth Day kit has seeds, soil, and a watering spout along with simple steps & supplies to grow your own garden.
- Learn about and sign up with the Opportunity Gardens program through the Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture to help you set up a raised bed vegetable garden in your yard.
🌎 Earth Day Challenge 3: Shop local and second-hand!
- Shop at the Columbia Farmer’s Market!
- Use our Toy Checkout program through Lend & Learn!
- Come to our Freecycle Giveaway event at First Chance on Friday, April 23 from 10am-2pm! You can shop for gently used baby and children’s clothing, children’s books, baby supplies, and toys in our parking lot while supplies last.
🌎 Earth Day Challenge 4: Turn thrown out materials into play items and crafts!
- Turn egg cartons into a sorting tray or seed planter.
- Turn a box into a crawl tunnel or art canvas.
- Turn an empty paper roll into a bird feeder.
🌎 Earth Day Challenge 5: Play outside as many days as you can!
- Make an evening walk part of your family’s routine.
- Take a hike on the trails and visit the local parks.
How do I get an Activity Kit?
The activity kits are free to local families with young children ages 0-5. Kits are given out first come, first serve while supplies last during our weekly curbside hours.
If this is your first time participating in a First Chance program or activity, fill out our online enrollment form.
You can download and print all the kit activities from home: Download
Pick up an activity kit during our Columbia L&L curbside hours on Tuesdays 9am-11am & Thursdays 1pm-3pm. When you arrive at our office parking lot at 1010 Fay St, text/call Charity (573-340-1341) to bring the activity kit to your car. Kit delivery is also available by request – email email@example.com.
Northern Boone County Families: Pick up a kit during our Northern Boone Diaper Drive Thru at L&L North (1023 E. Hwy 22, Centralia, MO) or request delivery – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
April Educators Kit
We are now offering a monthly kit download exclusively for Early Childhood Educators with recycled craft activities, Resource Spotlight, and printable Earth Day coloring pages: Download
Take the Survey
Whether this is your first or tenth time getting a kit, we want to hear from you! What do you enjoy about the activity kits? Do you have suggestions or new ideas? Take the survey: https://forms.gle/4aHDen1vF9K74gtn8